Each character belongs to one or two of the three classes, and each class has different jobs.
- Soldier: Engage with hostilities.
- Scientist: Research and constructing stations.
- Technician: Production and constructing buildings and stations.
A character's class is fixed and cannot be changed, but they can gain experience and level up.
In strategic game screens you will also see titles like "Steward" or "Research Director". Theses are background stories and has no game effects.
Each level grants one training point that can be used to initiate trainings, used to improve their skills in the relevant class. For scientists and technicians, level directly correlates to their capabilities.
Most new characters's starting level is 2 to 4, some has 1 or 5, and levels can be increased quickly by earning experience.
Only soldiers can undertake tactical missions using the UFO, and only soldiers can die in combat.
A soldier's combat skills does not increase directly with level, unlike scientists and technicians. Instead, they can spend their level ups in increasing attributes, which indirectly increase their skills.
Characters having level in two classes are multiclass characters, and they can fulfill either roles. Their two classes' level, experience, and trainings are independent.
- Soldier/Scientist: They can use MedKit to heal soldiers, and is required by some missions.
- Soldier/Technician: They can use ToolKit to repair suits, and is required by some missions.
- Scientist/Technician: They can learn Scientific Craft faster. as a technician and use it to drives the
Multiclass soldiers are best kept at base, so that they can hop on the UFO at anytime.